Indian head massage stimulates the nerves from the head area. This helps you to relax which, in turn, improves mental and physical health. It also increases circulation, exfoliates the scalp and nourishes the hair.
Indian head massage, also known as champissage, is a treatment that focuses on massaging acupressure points along the head, neck, and shoulders, often using circular massage strokes to improve hair and scalp condition.
It originates from an Indian alternative medicine system called Ayurveda, (translated as the ‘science of life’), whereby it is believed that the mind and body are intricately connected and thus can influence one another. Through this theory, it is understood that Indian head massage can not only reduce headaches and improve physical well-being, but it can also improve mental and emotional wellness too.
Indian head massage is an ancient therapeutic practice that has been used in India for over 2000 years, (since around 600 B.C.), and requires no oils or equipment, making it a very accessible treatment, perfect for newcomers to massage. It is usually done while seated and through light clothing.
There are so many benefits to Indian head massage; here are just a few:
- Promotes hair growth by increasing oxygen in the hair follicles which stimulates growth and health.
- Prevents headaches and migraines by releasing built-up tension in the head and neck area and relieving muscle stiffness
- Renews and balances energy levels by working with the three higher chakras
- Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety through relaxation
- Boosts memory capabilities by relieving stress and quieting the mind
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage by circulating blood to the neck area
- Better sleep by reducing stress
- Improves circulation of cerebral spinal fluid